The Department is responsible for promotion and projecting the development of vocational education and training and increase stakeholder participation in provision of technical education vocational and entrepreneurship training. The functions of the Department has two sections, Skills Development and Entrepreneurship Training. The primary function of the Department is to promote vocational education and training in Zambia in line with the TEVET policy. The specific functions of the Department are to:
- Developing Strategies for popularizing various technical skills and vocational training,
- Identifying and analyzing national skills and professional problems and opportunities, and
- Monitoring and evaluating trends in human resources development, vocational training, provision and promotion.
- Designing packages of incentives for the provision of skills.
- Designing packages of incentives for the development of entrepreneurship and vocational training.