The Department is responsible for promotion and projecting the development and application of science and technology, initiate, review and update research and development and to increase stakeholder participation in science and technology. The Department has two sections namely:- Science Development and Technology Development. The functions for the Department are:
- Developing, monitoring and reviewing Science and Technology policies.
- Carrying out Science and Technology impact assessment.
- Advising cabinet and Parliamentary Committee on all issues of Science and Technology.
- Developing a programme of action for the promotion, popularization and advancement of Science and Technology in Zambia.
- Ensuring enforcement of Science and Technology regulations