NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR SCIENTIFIC AND INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH
INVITATION FOR APPLICATIONS FOR POSITION OF DIRECTOR
The National Institute for Scientific and Industrial Research (NISIR) was established by statutory Instruments No. 73 of 1998 pursuant to the Science and Technology Act No. 26 of 19997 of the Laws of Zambia to spearhead Research and Development (R & D) activities in order to promote and accelerate sustainable socio-economic growth of the country. More information about NISIR can be found at its website http://www.nisir.org.zm
The NISIR Board is currently seeking to appoint an outstanding individual to the position of Director of the Institute. The candidate, who should drive and enhance the mission of the institute, should be mature, qualified, experienced, self-driven and an innovative individual.
The successful candidate shall be appointed on contract, for an initial period of three (03) years and will be required to agree to specific Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) with the Board of NISIR through the Board Chairperson. On-the-job assessment of the Director shall be based on performance and the contract may be renewed for a further period of three (03) years. Interested individuals who meet the under-listed qualifications are therefore invited to apply for the position.
- Earned PhD Degree in a Scientific or Engineering field from a recognized university, with a minimum of 5 years experience in Research and Development work at a senior level OR
- Earned MSc Degree in a Scientific or Engineering field from a recognized university, with a minimum of 10 years experience in Research and Development work at a senior level.
- Proven, strong leadership and strategic and analytical thinking; with good writing, administrative, information dissemination, entrepreneurial and computer skills.
- Mature, self-motivated, innovative, highly effective communicator and team builder, with a business acumen.
- Proven track record of published refereed scientific and/or technical work,
- Demonstrable effective interpersonal skills particularly when dealing with Government officials, industry personnel, International Cooperating Partners and related R & D Institutions.
- Demonstrable Management and Administrative skills.
The successful applicant will be expected to be a dynamic person who will provide sound management and leadership to an Institute whose core functions are basic and applied scientific and industrial research. He/she will have to meet the public and industry’s requirements for scientific solutions while adding value to the Institute and the country as a whole.
The Director shall be responsible for the day to day administration of the Institute. The specific responsibilities shall include but will not be limited to the following:
- Provide leadership in scientific and industrial research and development.
- Provide leadership in making NISIR fit-for-purpose
- Provide leadership in the application of science and technology in Zambia.
- Play a key role in the strategic planning and key decision-making processes.
- Implement policies and corporate objectives as formulated by the Board.
- Develop linkages with industry, Institutions and other stakeholders for demand driven research and development activities and technology transfer.
- Plan and manage the hiving off and commercialization of products and process beyond the laboratories.
- Develop, implement and monitor income-generating activities to facilitate demand driven research and development activities in conformity with needs of industry, Institutions and other stake holders.
- Advise the Board and Government on R & D opportunities and performance of NISIR in its contribution to the socio-economic development of the country.
- Market the Institute locally, regionally and internationally recognized for scientific and technological outputs.
- Liaise with the Ministry responsible for Science and Technology and other relevant Institutions on matters related to Science and Technology development.
- Prepare annual reports, budgets and management accounts.
- Liaise with the Ministry responsible for Science and Technology and other relevant institutions on matters of related to science and technology development.
- Serve as Secretary to the Board.
An attractive and competitive package is available for the right candidate.
Interested persons should submit their applications labeled, ‘Director – NISIR’, with a detailed CV, copies of academic records (grade 12 and up) and professional qualifications, a two (2) page vision for NISIR, contact telephone/mobile number(s) and email addresses. In addition, applicants must provide names of three referees with their postal and email addresses and phone numbers. The application package should be addressed to:
The Board Chairperson
National Institute for Scientific and Industrial Research
KK International Airport Road
P.O Box 310158
Telephone No. +260 359 727 or +260 359 728
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: 31st JULY, 2020.