The main functions of the Department are: –
- Coordinating the formulation of policies, monitoring and appraising government policies and advising as necessary on the implicating of the various Sectoral policies;
- Co-ordinating the development of Strategic and Work Plans for the Ministry;
- Developing and maintaining a sector Management Information System which will support the policy analysis, performance assessment, decision making and provide information to the stakeholders;
- Co-ordinating the implementation of Technical cooperation and Sector investment programs;
- Managing the provision of common technical services (audio visuals, printing and technical maintenance);
- Co-ordinating the maintenance and rehabilitation works of both physical structures and equipment in the institutions of the ministry;
- Co-ordinating the establishment of new institutions
- Coordinating preparation of budgets
The Department is also responsible for coordination within the Ministry, as well as Parliamentary and Cabinet liaison. The Department is subdivided into three sections, namely, Projects, Monitoring and Evaluation, and Data Management and Information.
The department is headed by a Director who is assisted by a Chief Planner who oversees the Projects and Monitoring and Evaluation sections and a Principal Systems Analyst who is in charge of the Data Management and Information Unit. The Chief Planner is assisted by two Senior Planners.
The Department is also responsible for three unstructured support services units namely:
- Audio Visual Unit (AVU). This Unit is responsible for media services and training for both the Ministry and other clients.
- Technical Maintenance Unit (TMU). This unit is responsible for the maintenance of buildings and equipment under the Ministry
- Printing Services Unit (PSU). This unit is responsible for printing services to the Ministry and other clients.
The Units are run on a semi-commercial basis and headed by Unit Managers who report to the Director Planning and Development. The mandate of their existence is drawn from the Restructuring Report of the Ministry.